Urban Amenities

Ireland’s overwhelmingly rural nature, despite its sharply rising population, was clearly illustrated by the 1835 Report of the Commissioners Inquiring into Municipal Corporations, who found only four towns with a population above 33,500: Dublin (265,316), Cork (100,716), Limerick (66,554) and Belfast (53,287).

The earliest towns in Ireland were Viking foundations, but these and subsequent municipalities had developed along English lines and operated under a variety of individual royal charters granted from the twelfth to the seventeenth centuries. In 1699 a visitor to Dublin gave a succinct account of the position of most, probably all, major Irish corporations when he commented that ‘this is a city powerful in its Privileges, but weak in its Exchequer, empty in its churches but full in its prisons.’

Throughout the eighteenth century Dublin was the centre of the social, economic, political and administrative life of the kingdom. Irish towns primarily provided goods and services for rural communities. Conversely, in the case of the larger towns, the agrarian practices of the surrounding countryside adjusted to meet the urban demand for milk, vegetables and other agricultural produce. Most sizeable towns had a multiplicity of small enterprises operating for surrounding largely self-contained regions.

Each sizeable town applied to parliament for its own individual statute, almost always modelled on an earlier statute for Dublin. These acts give an interesting picture of urban life. One of them, 23 & 24 Geo. III, c. 52 (1784), outlines the city government of Waterford. It reflects a (perhaps idealised) blueprint of the ambitions of the larger Irish towns.

Waterford was an ancient city with municipal charters going back to the Middle Ages. It was the port from which James II fled to France after the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, and it had suffered during the wars of the seventeenth century. Waterford’s traditional privileges included the right of its Mayor to have a sword carried in front of him even in the presence of the viceroy. During the eighteenth century a number of fine stone-built public buildings were erected as the city gradually recovered from its seventeenth-century depredations.

A mid-century visitor commented on the court house, the exchange, the gaol and the fish market. It had a charity school for 75 boys founded by Bishop Foy, the Anglican Bishop of Waterford from 1691 until his death in 1707. Bishop Foy’s school was housed in a handsome stone building. Mrs Mary Mason founded a school for 32 girls with school buildings in the more usual brick. Perhaps the most distinctive feature of the town was its long and impressive quay, whose only European rival was said to be that of Messina in Sicily.

An important commercial centre, Waterford had a court of conscience presided over by the Mayor or his predecessor or, if neither was available, an alderman. Originally this court had jurisdiction only over debts of under 10s, but under the 1784 act, 23 & 24 Geo. III, c. 52, this was extended to 40s. Defendants had to be at least 16 years of age, and the maximum sentence was three months’ imprisonment for a debt of under £1 and six months for a debt between £1 and £2.

Four times a year the Mayor or, in his absence, the Recorder could hear and determine cases involving civil bills of £2 to £10 and actions on promissory notes or bills of exchange. Despite their petty jurisdiction, these courts possessed the same powers over witnesses as assize courts. Witnesses who did not appear were fined and the proceeds of the fines applied to the widening of the streets.

Following the example set by Dublin in a 1757 act, 29 Geo. II, c. 13, in 1784 Commissioners were appointed to improve the streets of Waterford, as ‘the streets, lanes and passages of the city of Waterford and the suburbs thereof are too narrow, by means whereof the health of the inhabitants is greatly injured and the trade of the said city is greatly obstructed.’ However, no street was to be laid out or widened without the verdict of a jury. Similar regulations governed other Irish cities.

The 1784 statute, 23 & 24 Geo. III, c. 52, outlined the parish’s responsibility for appointing and paying the parish watch ‘for the peace and safety of the inhabitants’, as ‘many idle and disorderly persons invest the streets, lanes or quays of the said city of Waterford.’ The watch was to apprehend unruly persons and bring them before the Mayor or a Justice of the Peace the following morning. A percentage of the rates was assigned for the payment of the watch. Rates were levied on house valuations; houses with a valuation under £3 were to be exempted.

The parish was also responsible for lighting the streets within its boundaries, and anyone breaking or injuring a light was to be fined £5 per lamp or sent to the House of Correction for one to three months. Wakefield found that at the end of the century one-third of its merchants were Catholic ‘and some possess considerable wealth’, while there were several opulent Quakers. This was not surprising, as much of the trade of Clonmel, a strongly Quaker town, went through Waterford.

In addition to a Quaker Meeting House there were various churches: six Presbyterian, a French Protestant, an evangelical, an Anabaptist, a cathedral, two Church of Ireland churches and four Catholic churches, as well as a nunnery and a friary. At the end of the century De Latocnaye found Waterford a prosperous, orderly and well-administered municipality.