Share your research interests
A key attraction of membership is to have your own research interests shared with other members, through our annual Directory as well as on our website. Members can add the details of up to six ancestors and include names, dates, locations, occupations and other family connections.
Access to our research library at the Kiltonga Industrial Estate
Members can visit our premises at Kiltonga, Newtownards, Co. Down, to use our Research Library. It is advisable to telephone/email ahead of your visit.
Access to our online Members' Library
Guild members have exclusive access to an ever-growing library of digital publications, all of which can be found in our Member's Area.
Guild members receive two annual publications – Familia: Ulster Genealogical Review and the Directory of Irish Family History Research.
Members also receive a copy of The Kiltonga Bugle, our digital summer newsletter.
- Familia: Ulster Genealogical Review is a widely respected historical journal that includes a selection of articles of wider historical, genealogical and biographical importance, as well as reviews of new books, keeping you up to date with recent research discoveries.
- The Directory of Irish Family History Research publishes the research interests of the Foundation's Guild members. In addition, the Directory publishes articles and source material, providing all-important practical advice on useful genealogical resources.
Guild members are welcome to submit articles and short notices for Familia and the Directory.
Access to our members’ area
The members’ area online contains over 170 articles from previous issues of Familia and other articles on research and guides to sources.
Celebrate Ulster’s heritage: educational & social events
Be part of and contribute to a vibrant research community. The Foundation frequently holds local and international lecture tours, book launches and other functions.
Your membership ensures that you are kept informed of all events. Celebrate Ulster’s connections with the wider world.
Exclusive access to member-only databases
Guild members have unrestricted access to hundreds of member-only databases, many covering the entire island of Ireland as well as access to over 50,000 gravestone inscriptions and to the History of the Irish Parliament biographical database.
Guild members enjoy huge discounts on our products and services including:
- 15% discount on all Ulster Historical Foundation published books on our store.
- Member-only discounts on our initial assessments, consultations and research services.
- Member-only discounts on our online genealogy courses.
- Member-only discounts on our family history conferences and research programmes.
Members' Research Area
Gain access to our Members' Research Area, focusing on a range of themes in Irish history and genealogy.